Monday, October 5, 2009

Quick Skillet Cake

Yesterday my mom & dad threw DOWN in the kitchen! My dad put some ribs & steaks on the grill, seasoned perfectly, THEN my mom made candied yams, corn, cabbage, broccoli cornbread, spaghetti & cheese, and then for dessert she made a Skillet Cake. At first it looked like cornbread, because it was in an iron-skillet. SO, I tasted it first, and it was SO GOOD! It was just the right amount of sweetness, moist & hot on the inside, and the outside was a little chewy, like a Gooey Cake sort of (one of my faves as well). It was a simple cake, no frosting, just the cake, and that's all you needed. So I found a recipe for it, and it includes walnuts, and my mom didn't use walnuts, but I'M SURE it tastes just as good...ENJOY!

You don’t need a baking pan to make this delicious cake.

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heavily butter a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together. Add the butter and whisk until satiny. Stir in the flour mixture; whisk until smooth. Spread batter in the skillet and top with walnuts.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

My mouth is watering as I read the recipe, which came from Parade newsletter...

2 comments:

★Starrla said...

This sounds SO GOOD! The fat kid in me wants to go try this recipe right now at 10:35 p.m. LOL

Chay Chay said...

LoL...you're crazy...girl, it was SO good, and SO simple to make! Mom' always know how to please your tastebuds =)

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails